There are so many people that have asked me about basement homes in the Lake Norman area over the years. Most are people moving here from one of the northern states where basements are much more commonplace. A basement or cellar is defined as one or more floors that are at least in part located below ground level. There aren’t that many basement homes in the Lake Norman area. In this article, we will explain why that is, provide you with a list of pro’s and con’s about basements and give you a list of homes that are available that do have basements.
Table of Contents
Basements can be a wonderful extra space that can be used for all kinds of things depending on whether or not it is a “finished space”. Finished space meaning that it has regular walls, floors, heating and cooling just like the rest of the house. Here are some of the most popular uses:
- Home office
- Additional square footage (if finished)
- Game/media room
- Laundry and utility space
- Entertainment area
- Home gym
- Rental space (made into a separate apartment)
Why aren’t there more homes with basements in the Lake Norman area?
Basements are not as numerous here in the Lake Norman area for several main reasons. The main reason being that the new home builders don’t usually include them as it is added cost most consumers don’t want. Homes in the Mooresville, Cornelius, Huntersville, Denver and Troutman areas are mostly comprised of newer homes in neighborhoods. This is because of all the growth the area has seen over the last two decades. This entire area was mostly rural and farmland until the 1990’s. Contributing to the increased cost of basements in this area is that our soil is more clay like as it holds more water than in the north. This makes it harder to put basements in and causes a higher risk of issues and basement leakage. Also, the frost line up north is much lower than it is in the south which affects stability of the soil. See this video for more explanation:
Pros of Having a Basement
Having a basement can be very convenient and beneficial which is why so many people love them. Some of the pro’s of having a basement are:
- Easy place to add a garage without having additional space requirements
- Storage – eliminates need to pay for additional storage space
- Easy access to utilities in your house (plumbing, wiring, etc.)
- Privacy – makes a great space for the kids to have somewhere to play (or the adults) where it’s not in the main living space.
- Separate living quarters – this can be wonderful for an adult family member that needs to live with you or a rental space.
- Great emergency shelter
- Workshop or hobby area
- Adds to home value
Cons of Having a Basement
- Risk of leaking
- Risk of mold and moisture
- Higher construction costs
- Pests – bugs like dark and damp places
- Higher taxes – because the home is valued higher
It should be noted that not all basements leak or even have issues. In fact, the majority of basements don’t leak. However, it is a risk and one the homebuyer should be aware of and have the proper inspections performed to try to insure themselves against the risk.
List of Homes in the Lake Norman area with Basements
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.